Fill in the correct character's name in the blank:
1. ____________is the youngest.
2.____________ is the oldest.
3. ____________ took care of the stray dog.
4. ____________ got very sick.
Fill in the blank:
1. The first place the children stopped was at the ___________ to buy bread.
2. During a storm, the children ran into the woods and found a ___________.
3. In Dr. Moore’s orchard the children picked_____________.
4.________________has a pink cup.
5. _________________won the free for all race.
6. Stockings was the name of ____________________.
7. Dr. Moore saw a notice about four lost children in the ____________________.
8.The cook at Dr. Moore’s house gave Henry a bag of _____________________.
9. When Henry cleaned out Dr. Moore’s garage, the doctor gave him a _________________.
10. Jessie took a __________________out of the dog’s paw.
11. The children were afraid that their _________________would find them.
12. In the boxcar, the children slept on ________________needles.
13. The children used the rock behind the waterfall as a_____________________.
14. Benny found four______________ at the dump and used them to make a cart.
15. Jessie used _________________ to take rust off of the spoons.
16. The girls thought Benny was missing something by not going to school, so they taught him to ________________.
Number these events in correct order:
______ Grandfather put the boxcar in the backyard of his mansion.
______The children slept in a haystack.
______ One night, Henry and Jessie heard an unusual noise in the woods.
______Henry got a job working for Dr. Moore.
______Dr. Moore took care of Violet when she got sick.
1.What does the word “cross" mean in this sentence?
“The baker’s wife came to the front of the bakery and listened, looking very cross."
2. Before they met him, the children thought their grandfather would be mean. How did they feel about him at the end of the book?
3. What was the best thing about living in the boxcar?