La Famiglia: Family Members Names in Italian
Teach children family members names in Italian with the help of audio files and worksheets. By the end of this lesson, children should be able to identify family members in the Italian language.
1. Print out Worksheets and Index Cards from the media files for Teaching Children Italian: Part 5. Cut this worksheet on the lines and make it into index cards. This is how you will start teaching your child the family member names in Italian. Each index card will have the English name for each family member and the corresponding word in Italian.
2. Have children find pictures of each family member and paste on the opposite side of the index card with the correct corresponding name. If you do not have actual photos, the child can substitute by finding and using pictures in magazines. For “Zia” the child would paste a picture of an aunt behind the index card. This will help with the testing later on. Have children study these cards.
3. Go to this site where you will find the family members with the corresponding audio files. Here you will listen to how to say the words in Italian. Have children practice by hearing the word then repeating.
4. Test children using the index cards. Show the picture of the family member and have them state how we say this family member in Italian. For every family member they do not get correct, have them write this word in Italian three times. This method will help drill the word and image into their mind. They will learn to associate the picture with the name.
5. Go through a photo album and have child state who the family member is in Italian. This is a fun activity to help the child associate the pictures with the words.
6. After you think the child has grasped all of the family member names, test the child without the pictures. Have the child sit down and fill out the last worksheet, which will have either the English or the Italian word for each family member. The child is to fill in the corresponding word.
After this lesson, children should be able to apply the Italian language to family members. In our next lesson, we will look at parts of the body.
The next article in this series is on using pronouns and the verb “piacere”, meaning like, with the vocabulary learned so far.