Three Cool Whip Crafts and Snacks for Hungry Preschoolers
Cool Whip is a non-dairy whipped cream substitute manufactured by Kraft Foods. Because Cool Whip does not contain milk or cream, it is an excellent alternative to real whipped cream, especially for children who are lactose-intolerant. Whipped topping has only twenty-five calories per two tablespoons, also making it a healthier alternative to whipped cream.
Preschoolers love eating and playing with Cool Whip, and the following preschool Cool Whip crafts and snacks provide an acceptable outlet for young children to play with their food. As with all snacks in the preschool classroom, always check with parents about food allergies and other dietary restrictions.
Cool Whip Painting
- Materials: Cool Whip, liquid food coloring, plastic bowls, heavy white paper, paintbrushes, sponges, plastic sheeting
- Preparation: Mix various colors in the plastic bowls by combining the whipped topping with food coloring. Do not over-stir because the Cool Whip will begin to separate. Cover work areas with the plastic sheeting.
- Instructions: Give each preschooler a sheet of paper. Allow the children to paint with the colored non-dairy topping using the paintbrushes and sponges or even their fingers. Allow the paintings to dry thoroughly on a flat surface. Wash the children's hands with warm, soapy water.
Chocolate Cool Whip Dip
Eating strawberries with chocolate Cool Whip dip is a delicious and semi-nutritious snack that preschoolers will love.
- Ingredients: thirty-two ounces (two large tubs) of whipped topping, one package of sugar free instant pudding, strawberries, large bowl, silicon spatula
- Preparation: Wash and slice the strawberries.
- Instructions: Place the Cool Whip in the large bowl. Mix the pudding into the non-dairy whipped topping with the spatula. Do not over-stir or the Cool Whip will begin to separate. Serve the chocolate dip with strawberries.
Cool Whip Fruit Salad
Preschoolers will love eating a healthy fruit snack with this delicious Cool Whip fruit salad.
- Ingredients: Cool Whip, sliced fruit (strawberries, cherries, pears, peaches, kiwis, mangoes, papayas, bananas, oranges), red liquid food coloring, large bowl
- Preparation: Wash and slice the fruit.
- Instructions: Place the whipped topping in the bowl. Add a few drops of food coloring to the non-dairy whipped cream and gently stir. Add the fruit slices to the Cool Whip. Serve immediately. Store any unused portion in the refrigerator.
Preschoolers love whipped cream. These preschool Cool Whip crafts and snacks offer an acceptable outlet for young children to play with their food.
- Snack ideas courtesy of the author, Heather Marie Kosur
- Image courtesy of the author, Heather Marie Kosur